What is the BIPM? part 1
The BIPM is...
- the international organization established by the Metre Convention, through which Member States act together on matters related to measurement science and measurement standards
- the home of the International System of Units (SI) and the international reference time scale (UTC).
Record number of frequency standards contribute to International Atomic Time
In November 2021 a new record of sixteen different frequency standards operated by eleven laboratories contributed to the accuracy of International Atomic Time TAI. They include three recently developed optical lattice clocks. This achievement is another step towards a future redefinition of the second.
Reports and announcements
What is the BIPM? part 2
Our mission and objectives
The BIPM's vision is to be universally recognized as the world focus for the international system of measurement.
The BIPM's mission is to work with the National Metrology Institutes of its Member States, the Regional Metrology Organizations and strategic partners world-wide and to use its international and impartial status to promote and advance the global comparability of measurements for:
- Scientific discovery and innovation
- Industrial manufacturing and international trade
- Improving the quality of life and sustaining the global environment.